Hertfordshire county council have awarded “Dementia Accreditation” to 2 of our residential Dementia homes and Bedfordshire county council have awarded “Dementia Quality Mark” for delivering good quality dementia care over and above the county standard.
Benslow have specialised in caring for people with Dementia for over 10 years. We are committed to providing person centred care in accordance with our Dementia care standards, which were developed in line with the Alzheimer’s Society’s person-centred approach as published in ‘Quality Dementia Care in care homes’ (2005). We practice a person centred approach to care. Our focus is on the individual as a whole person rather then the condition. We aim to recognise their uniqueness, strengths and abilities rather than their losses and failures.
We have a bespoke Dementia Care Training pathway for all our staff to ensure they are equipped with skills and knowledge to maintain our philosophy. Staff are continually developing their skills and knowledge through training and mentorship.
Our Dementia care programme includes :
- Care developed using life histories
- Enabling choice and participation
- Promoting dignity, respect and individuality
- Supporting independence
- An activity programme that provides both social and meaningful opportunities
- A comfortable, safe and homely environment
- Special calm areas to soothe
- Comfort through prompting memories